Wynyard Visitor Information
Visiting Wynyard, Tasmania
Wynyard is a small coastal town located on the north-west coast of Tasmania. It is known for its historic buildings, beaches, and scenic beauty. Here is some information to help you plan your visit to Wynyard.
Wynyard is approximately 20 minutes from the nearest airport, Burnie-Wynyard Airport. You can fly to Burnie-Wynyard Airport from Melbourne or take a domestic flight from other major Australian cities to Launceston Airport, which is approximately 2 hours drive from Wynyard.
Things to do in Wynyard
- Visit the historic Fossil Bluff, a geological site on the edge of the ocean where fossils of prehistoric animals have been found.
- Take a walk along the Wynyard Foreshore Walkway, a scenic walk that goes along the coast of Wynyard.
- Explore Table Cape, a flat-topped hill south of Wynyard that is known for its fields of tulips and lilies during spring.
- Visit the Wynyard Railway Station Precinct, which has been restored to its original condition and houses a museum and café.
- Go to the local beaches for swimming, surfing or fishing. Boat Harbour Beach and Sisters Beach are popular choices for visitors.
Accommodation in Wynyard
There are several options for accommodation in Wynyard, ranging from budget to luxury.
- The Wharf Hotel Wynyard
- Wynyard Motel
- Coastal Pods Wynyard
- Burnie Airport Motel
- Burnie Ocean View Motel and Holiday Caravan Park
The best way to get around Wynyard is by car. You can rent a car from Burnie-Wynyard Airport or from car rental companies in Burnie. There is also a local bus service, but it has limited routes and frequency.
Wynyard is a charming town that offers a range of activities for visitors. Whether you want to explore the local history, enjoy the beaches, or simply relax in a picturesque location, Wynyard is a great choice for a Tasmanian getaway.